Welcome to the Community Safety Zone for March !
This column will provide some safety tips for those intending on travelling during the week of March break.
Prior to Departure:
- Be sure to check the Weather Network for any weather warnings
- Have a list of emergency phone numbers to contact (including insurance company and passport office)
- Record passport information in two safe places
- Do not announce travel plans to people or in groups you do not know well and do not post to social media sites
- Take only the valuables and credit cards you need , leave the rest securely stored at home or in a safety deposit box.
- Let a friend or family member know your daily plans and have check in calls pre-arranged
- Leave resort and flight information with that contact person
- When venturing away from your room leave a note stating your destination
At the airport
- Do not place jewellery or other valuables in checked luggage when possible
- Carry your passport in a shirt pocket when able
- Constantly monitor your bags
- Don’t leave maps on display
- Accompany children to the washroom
- Be sure to review your travel route and any possible construction detours
- Ensure your car is well prepared for the trip (oil, tire pressure, etc..)
- Have a Roadside emergency and first aid kit available.
- Ask a trusted friend to check on your home and to pick up flyers and mail when you are away.
- Arrange for snow removal
- Place two different lights on timers
- Ensure that expected parcels are not delivered and left unattended outside the residence.
Hoping you have a great March break !
We appreciate hearing your comments, receiving your concerns and taking suggestions for future Community Safety Zone topics. Please feel free to email us at email@example.com.