A chronological history
1808 - Samuel R. Calvin purchases a piece of property from the Crown at what is now known as Trim Road and Smith Road.
1840 - Settler Michael O’Meara arrives.
1846 - Other settlers arrive including the Dunnings, the Daggs, Shaws, McFaddens, Wilson, Lancasters.
1862 - Navan’s first church was built, originally Presbyterian, later Methodist .
1861 - The year of Navan’s birth, when Michael O’Meara opened the first post office. Navan is named after the Town of Navan, in the Countyof Meath, Ireland. A one-room log school house built.
1867 - The first St. Mary’s Anglican Church built.
1871 - This first post office was then relocated in 1871 to its own location in the village.
1876 - The Shaw House built, the white house on the northwest corner of Trim and Smith.
1884 - First mill starts up to thresh, grind, and saw shingles.
1898 - Railway station built on Smith Road near Milton, remaining in use until 1974 .
1904 - Grinding mill opens by local blacksmith and carriage maker on Colonial Road.
1896 - Navan Public School, SS#3, replaces an earlier one-room log building.
1898 - The present St. Mary’s Anglican Church constructed and opened.
Bradley’s general store opens.
1907 - Cheese factory opens on Colonial.
1910 - Navan’s first outdoor rink is fashioned.
1911 - First telephone installed in Navan.
1912 - Grist mill opens.
1915 - Navan Continuation School built.
1921 - Royal Bank opens in Navan.
1926 - Navan-Vars United Church replaces the Methodist Church.
1931 - Electricity comes to the village. Navan Women’s Institute organized.
1936 - First street lights installed.
1940 - Navan’s first murder, with the shooting of Constable Harold Dent, at the Navan railway station.
1946 - First Navan Fair held.
1948 - Bradley’s store burns down. The store, complete with apartments, was re-built the following year.
1952 - Navan’s first indoor hockey rink opens, along with a community centre.
Navan Lion’s Club chartered
1954 - Community Centre burns down.
1955 - New arena and community centre built.
1984 - The Domes installed in the fairgrounds. The Domes were originally used for the Papal Mass when Pope John Paul XXIII visited Canada.
1990 - Navan Curling Club established.
1995 - Fifty-Horse Hitch held, putting Navan in the Guiness Book of World Records .
1996 - First meeting held to form the Navan Community Association.
2001 - International Plowing Match hosted.
2010 - 150th anniversary kicked off by Gerry Calver, as town crier, and Sheila-Minogue-Calver, during the New Year’s Eve celebration December 31, 2010
Chronological history compiled compliments of the Navan Women's Institute.